A Goodreads user asked Zoe Archer:

One of the things I love about your books is that people seem to fall in love with one another *through* the exercising of their personal agency, rather than the sometimes popular romance tradition of the Stockholm Syndrome romance. How do you think personal agency and choice play a role in great love stories?

Zoe Archer I think it plays a tremendous part in love stories. Yes, chemistry is involved, but when agency is removed and it becomes a matter of simply being told that a couple should be together, or that one of the pair believed they are meant to be in a relationship, then I have little faith in the relationship actually lasting beyond the end of the book. I also think it does a tremendous disservice to women to enforce notions that they themselves don't know their own hearts and minds, and that through sheer will, a man can "make" them fall in love with them--as though women are passive, childlike objects rather than fully actualized human beings. When there is parity between the two protagonists (regardless of gender), then the relationship is based on mutual respect, which, to me, is a stronger foundation, and that's where love can truly grow.