Della Scott
Della Scott asked:

I am about half through this and notice that he does the same thing as he did in The Woman in white, that is, have the story told from different points of view. Does anybody else think that Drusilla Clack is meant to poke fun at highly pious, self-righteous Christians, what with some of the niche charities she's involved with, etc.?

To answer questions about The Moonstone, please sign up.
Paul Driskill Definitely! I think it is worth noting her habit of capitalizing "Me" often times when she refers to herself. For all her piety, she is elevating herself through a clever grammatical move to the level of Godhood. Not to mention the fact she fairly blatantly more concerned with doing her own good works than with the works themselves--ie (I'm dodging a spoiler here), she is excited to learn about someone's misfortune because it gives her an opportunity to be devoted to someone.
David Vidaurre Drusilla Clack is certainly mocking the officious, self righteous christians that abound even to this day. Wilkie Collins' domestic arrangements were less than conventional for the time, so I sure he probably crossed paths with this type of character.
Charles Are you serious? Of course he is. I'm impressed with how "modern" Collins is in many of his attitudes. For instance his ridicule of Betteredge for being "above reasonableness." He also exhibits a modern skeptical attitude toward superstition that is refreshing and kind of surprising for the age he was writing in. Maybe we haven't advanced as far as we like to think we have.
Image for The Moonstone