Cynthia
Cynthia asked:

Compare Ender's Game to the rest of the series? Which of them is the best? I love Ender's Game, but I'm not sure if the rest of the series is age appropriate for me, I'm kind of afraid that it will be dull, not fast paced as YA books.

To answer questions about Children of the Mind, please sign up.
Charles Cherry Compared to the rest of the series, Ender's Game seems very simplistic. Don't get me wrong - I loved it - but the rest of the Ender series, and the Shadow series, are all light-years ahead of Ender's Game when it comes to writing, plot, characters, emotion, and everything that makes a great book and a great series. In fact, they just seem to get better as you go along!

By the way, I've enjoyed these novels as audio books - the production quality, narration, and so forth, are the best I've ever heard, and I listen to a LOT of audible books. The author himself says his books are best experienced by listening to them, and I agree!
Beth The follow-on books are not at all the same as Ender's Game. Try Ender's Shadow - the first book in a spinoff series about Bean - if you want something more like Ender's Game.
Glen If you are worried about boring mature books in the Enderverse try reading First Meetings, and A War of Gifts. They are young adult type books. Once you have finished those go on to the others, or try them as audio books. I think as a young person I would have loved them all, but each person has to figure out the books themselves.
Alex Bouffard Ender's Game is definitely a lot more children oriented than the rest of the Ender Quintent. I read those books about 4 or 5 years ago and they were extremely complex reads. But that doesn't mean that they are boring. I LOVED them! But it is definitely different from Ender's Game. The sequential books involve a lot of scenarios that make you really think "what would you do in this scenario?" While there is some action, it is more about theory, morality, and just crazy stuff happening and trying to find a way to keep the world at peace.

The Ender's Shadow series however is action-packed and is much more like the Ender's Game book. I personally found the Shadow series to be more entertaining to read as it was more about the war going on Earth as opposed to the philosophical battles Ender had to deal with. And Bean is also was such a fascinating character and he goes through so much and has a psychotic arch nemesis in Achilles that makes this a thriller series.

If you want a more fun and thrilling read, I'd go for the Shadow series. If you want to have your mind blown and to seriously ponder your own morality and be introduced to concepts and cultures you never knew existed, then read the Ender Quintet. The finally of the Ender Quintet is one of my favorite reads ever. Talk about mind blown.
Alisi ☆ wants to read too many books ☆ I wouldn't say the rest of the books in the Ender Universe are age inappropriate for a teen. They are, however, very boring and hold none of the charm of Ender's Game. They also happen way in the future, when he's grown up, or they don't involve him at all.

They're also very preachy and sound like platforms for his pseudo science (there is many a conversation between two people who bump into each other), while also being very stereotypical and racist. Like, for example, the 'smart' planet in the universe is inhabited completely by Chinese/Asian people.
Electric Bubbles Ender's Game is a lot more straight-forward and fast paced than the following books, which mainly dwell on theories and mind-boggling equations. Honestly, after having my mind blown by these, Ender's Game seems rather amateur.
If you're looking for something like Maze Runner or Hunger Games, then you probably wouldn't enjoy it, but you might give it a whirl and see how you like it. If reading it seems slow, try listening to the audio books.
Image for Children of the Mind