Goodreads asked James V. Smith Jr.:

James V. Smith Jr. I used to act pretty flippant about writer's block because I came up through journalism, where your editor would laugh at you if you dared to blame your laziness on "getting blocked." When you're getting paid to write, you simply do not allow yourself the luxury of writer's block. In You Can Write a Novel, I got really snarky, writing about a neurosurgeon in the operating theater. Who's going to believe, "I can't go on; I've brain surgeon's block." or for that matter, one of the trades; "I got me some plumber's block today, so no drain fixing for you."

But. I did read a bio of Mark Twain a few years ago. He had a heckuva time with Huck Finn and the riverboat books because he witnessed his brother's death in a boiler explosion. I now think that fear might well justify WB.

In any case, you deal with it by picking up the keyboard. You write about something, preferably the thing you most fear. Then, when you drop into the narrative, you'll forget the notion of ever being blocked.