Brent Hartinger
Brent Hartinger asked Robin Reardon:

I know you write about gay teens (quite well!), and I also know your publisher doesn't classify them as "young adult." Do you see yourself writing YA? Does it bother you you're not in that category? Or do you find it freeing? Does this make it less likely to find your books in school libraries? Similarly, how do you see your audience?

Robin Reardon There's no doubt this question came from another author! From one of my favorite authors, in fact. And it's a fascinating question.

When I finished my first book, A SECRET EDGE, I thought I had written a book for the YA market. After all, before starting to write, I had decided that my fictional characters would be just like real teens. But my agent and my publisher both said, "No; this will go out to the adult market." At the time, I wondered about your point that perhaps there was just a little too much sex in the story for school libraries.

As it turned out, though, rather than being too much for the school librarian, the real-life quality appealed to older readers, and teenage readers found it on their own. So it was a canny decision that captured both markets for that and future books. And, yeah, it is kind of freeing.

In my heart, I write for teens and for the teenager in everyone. And, in fact, I'm almost ready to announce the release date for my next book, THROWING STONES. You heard it here first!