Goodreads asked C.J. Hatch:

C.J. Hatch Inspiration for Hurricane Ron came from a number of places, starting with a dream I had years ago which forms chapter two.

In developing the story of Ron on the run, I fell back on a news story I covered as a reporter in Alabama in which escaped cop-killer Mario Centobie was captured after weeks on the run. After looking into his eyes on the morning of his capture I had to wonder what those weeks spent slogging through the woods and swamps of Alabama were like for his and what he thought he would accomplish heading directly back to his estranged wife and child.

The rest is a combination of fantasy and my personal experiences as a reporter and as a military veteran.