Beth Montgomery
Beth Montgomery asked John Goode:

I'm only halfway through the 2nd (slash 4th) book in the series, but am curious how much, if any of the events are based on your HS experiences? (When I write, even if my characters and storyline have almost nothing to do with my life history, I'll often throw in some real-life events. They're almost like easter eggs for people who know me, I think.)

John Goode I grew up in Northern California in an incredible liberal environment and was never once teased or bullied because of my sexuality. When I moved to Texas I was shocked to find that people who really had problems with it but my high school experience was nothing like Kyle and Brad's. But the events they go through happened to someone. Every single one is researched from an actual news story that happened to someone, somewhere.