Neeta
Neeta asked Wendy Orr:

Why didn't you do a movie about the book nim at sea? Instead you did return to Nims island I loved that movie. but why you did not do a movie of the second book.

Wendy Orr Neeta, I'm very sorry for this late reply to a very good question. I wrote an answer when you asked, but I obviously didn't save it properly, so it disappeared – and I've only just realised.

Even though I wrote the books, I didn't have a choice about how the movies would be. For Nim's Island, the book and film were very close, but as you said, the story for Return to Nim's Island was very different from Nim at Sea. The problem is that movies cost a lot more to make than books and to film Nim at Sea the way I wrote it would have cost many, many millions. So the producers took some of the most important feelings of the book – Nim needs a human friend, and Nim would do anything to save her friend Selkie – and told a different story around those feelings. They were also very true to the characters of Nim and Jack, which was the most important thing to me. So it was a very different story, but as I told the writers of the final script - it was a story I could have written about Nim, and I absolutely loved the movie. I'm very glad you did too, and I'm sorry you had to wait so long for an answer.