Tamara
Tamara asked Vera Nazarian:

I bought "Compete" today and I just LOVE it. I can't wait for book 3! There was just one thing which irritated me: Gwen says it was her 18th birthday after the yellow Zero-G party but I thought her 18th birthday was before she qualified? Or did I confuse sth.?

Vera Nazarian Thanks so much for asking and so glad you are enjoying the series! :-) Okay, no -- when QUALIFY begins, Gwen is 16 years old. By the end of the book, two months pass, and Gwen has her 17th birthday party (in the gym, in secret, where all her friends bring her shoelaces and Oalla demerits the bullies...) So now, a year passes onboard the starships in COMPETE and she has another birthday (during the Yellow Dance), her 18th one, and this time there is no party, and no one remembers.

Hope this clears it up and no problem about the confusion! :-)

Thanks again!

Vera