A Goodreads user asked Cornelia Funke:

Hello Miss Cornelia! I have just recently became a fan of yours, and I am in love with the Inkworld! I also took a trip to California last week and it was HOT compared to my home in rainy Portland, Oregon. I was just wondering how you felt about your transition from Germany to Cali, weather-wise, socially, everything?

Cornelia Funke I lived for 45 years in Hamburg, which has quite a similar climate to Portland and one day I had enough of cold rainy summers with barely a day outside, of spring never arriving...after 10 years in LA and because of the current drought i start missing the rain. But I LOVE that everything grows in my garden, that there are flowers in winter and that I can always write outside. I could imagine living half a year in the South, half a year in the North, but I think I can never go back to the cold and rain trapping me between walls and my flowers loosing all their blossoms in the rain:)