Goodreads asked David Wiley:

David Wiley I'll talk about two of them: A Merchant in Oria, my novella that just released, and Monster Huntress, my first full novel coming in 2018.

A Merchant in Oria started as a picture prompt that springboarded into a collaborative project in 2012. Three other authors and myself formed what we deemed the "Fab Four" and we worked on projects together that we called the "Fab Four Fables". One of us would start a story based on the image prompt, then the next person would continue, then the third, and the fourth would bring that story to a close. A Merchant in Oria was the Fable that I started, and much of that early scene remains in tact still. As is common when authors continue a story, it went in directions that I hadn't expected and I enjoyed what they did with the beginning. Yet I always felt compelled to return and finish the story I had started with that prompt.

Monster Huntress had a similar beginning because it came in 2012 while posting writing on my blog. The protagonist appeared in a serial short story, Ogre Hunt, and then a longer serialized sequel with Doppelganger Danger. Those stories featured her as an adult, and one day I had the idea to write her origin story, so to speak. Which placed her as a 13-year-old girl who dreams of hunting monsters like her father, and finally that dream begins to come true and she is swept on adventures and hunts monsters and uncovers a greater threat than anyone realized.