Alex Owens
Alex Owens asked Amy Lane:

Umm, I wanted to know if you were planning to write a story that talked about Ezra and Miguel from Bitter Taffy? I noticed there was a few hints that Ezra would be a difficult character, and I wanted to see how he'd develop through your talented hands.

Amy Lane Yeah-- Ezra was interesting. It took me a bit to figure out what he was really about, and then it was SO SIMPLE. For the previous two books, the guys have all been Clopper. It was that simple-- my guys were the dog. Finn, with his puppyish enthusiasm, Adam with his feet splayed against any change, Derek with his patience, Rico with cautious, strong acceptance-- all of the guys were some aspect of Clopper.

Miguel is the dog. But Ezra is Jake. Ezra is Jake the cat. You pick him up and put him in a new place, and he just sort of curls up and sees if anything is going to eat him. And when something hurts him, he lashes out (witness how he "broke away" from his home life). It was fun writing it-- but Lollipop is a little longer than the other books, and it's because writing about dogs and dogs is really fast paced. My dogs roll around the house like a hurricane. But writing about cats and dogs requires a little more care.