Diane
Diane asked Chris Bohjalian:

I love how different all of your books are and how complete those worlds. I read a lot and am always thinking with your books. I wonder if you ever consider writing about the same character or is their story over for you each time? Is it the character that tells you the story or the problem that unfolds? Thank you. You inspire me to write thoughtfully.

Chris Bohjalian Thank you, Diana, I am honored.

A couple of times I have considered bringing back a character and writing a sequel.

Among them? The woman we meet on the very last page of "Skeletons at the Feast." I thought her story in the Israeli War of Independence might be very intriguing.

I have also considered a sequel to "The Sandcastle Girls," following Hatoun after the Genocide.

And I thought another novel with Serafina Bettini as a Florence detective might be interesting. That one would have been set in the 1960s.

When a book has worked for me, I always feel a deep postpartum sadness when I finish -- which may be why I fantasize about sequels and spending more time with the characters.

Thanks for asking, Diane!