Kylie
Kylie asked Michael Jecks:

When you first started writing the Knights Templar mysteries did you intend for Baldwin and Simon to become involved with the story of Edward II and Isabella, or did it just evolve that way?

Michael Jecks Sorry for the delay - been off at workshops and things. Not at all, to be honest. I had the idea of Simon and Baldwin being very much products of their location. However, they evolved because I started using men like Bishop Stapeldon, and because he was actually a very powerful politician, Simon and Baldwin got drawn into things (pretty much against poor Baldwin's will!) and as the country sank further into the mire with the problems in the royal family, my lads were drawn into things more and more!