Ami
Ami asked Rebecca Donovan:

I love that you are a self-described optimist that writes moody books. Does getting into the heads of your characters ever affect your mood?

Rebecca Donovan Absolutely! I need to hurt and cry alongside my characters. I also fall in love and experience all the beautiful moments with them too. I must embody every emotion even when it tears me apart.

One of the hardest scenes I've ever had to write was the letter Rachel wrote to Emma in OUT OF BREATH. Getting inside the bitter and hurtful mind of Rachel, to feel hateful enough to write those words to her own daughter, affected me greatly. I was sobbing crying when I was done that scene.

It can take me a while to emerge from these dark places. I'm probably not the best person to be around when I'm creating. I often become disconnected from the real world around me. But I need to feel every emotion so that you can too.
Rebecca Donovan