Patricia Bracewell
Patricia Bracewell asked Erika Mailman:

Erika, I'm posing for you the question that you asked me. How do you get "in the mood" to write about people who lived in the distant past? I'm specifically thinking of The Witch's Trinity that was set in a world that was so bleak. Do you have any rituals to invite the past into your writing practice?

Erika Mailman What a hard question! Why did I ever ask that of you? LOL. For me, the woodcuts of medieval Germany with their bleak, crude lines helped me get in the mood. I'm a very visual person so that artwork provided a great way to sink into that world. I credit Brueghel's The Hunters in the Snow for my envisioning the village of Tierkinddorf, where The Witch's Trinity takes place.