Sam Julian
Sam Julian asked Cynthia Bond:

What is your research process like, and how do you check your work for historical accuracy? Can you describe an instance when you decided, for dramatic or plot purposes, it was better to overlook historical precedent?

Cynthia Bond A good deal of my research has come from personal interviews, and traveling to the Piney Woods, speaking to the Director of the Historical Society and reading old manifests, death records etc... I have read books on the subject matter. Specifically books that laid the foundation for the plot in my novel. Because so much of African American culture in founded in slavery, I read a great deal about that time. I also researched vernacular of the time, using books written by Zora Neale Hurston, and even scouring the internet. I must admit that I have never changed a historical fact to better fit a plot twist or necessity. I instead truly love the idea of fitting my characters into the sway of history...Allowing them to become a part of something read. It is as if they join a wave, a swelling wave of time that we already know. My hope is that is allows the reader to capture a sense of truth. These real moments become inextricably woven into their lives. Thanks so much for the great question.