Anthony
Anthony asked Stephen P. Kiernan:

I get the sense that you're fascinated with WWII, as am I. Ever been tempted to write a novel set during the war? In the Hummingbird, I found the flashback story very interesting. I think that itself would've made a damn fine novel.

Stephen P. Kiernan Hi Anthony and thanks for your question. I'm delighted that you enjoyed the historical part of the book.

The Hummingbird initially began as a novel about the World War II component. The contemporary story came second, believe it or not. But when I put them together I felt like each piece said something that enriched the other. That's my hope anyway.

I am a journalist so I loved the research, but I am not a historian so I was glad to be able to take the liberties of fiction to make the best story I could.

I am now about a quarter of the way along in another novel, The Taste of Hope, which will come out from the same wonderful publisher sometime in 2017 (if all goes well and the creek don't rise), which is set entirely in World War II France. More to come on that in the months ahead.

Thanks again.