Barbara Wade
Barbara Wade asked Barbara Freethy:

Hi Barbara - how long does it usually take from getting an idea to you actually writing a book, is each book different or do you find that the ideas for books come easily to you. I make cards (totally different I know) but sometimes lose inspiration, does this ever happen to you with your writing?

Barbara Freethy That's a good question but not an easy answer. Ideas are plentiful but not all of them deserve a full-length book so some story ideas I have I have never written because I haven't figured out a complete story to tell.

The stories that do become books often change in varying degrees over the course of the writing. Sometimes they morph into something unexpected, but for me that is part of the fun of the writing process. I love it when the story surprises me.

I think there is a point in every story where the writer questions whether the story is a good one to tell, but you usually have to push through those doubtful moments. I think they probably just make the author work harder! Some books seem more difficult to write and others fly by, and I never why that happens!

Thanks for the question!

Barbara