Jason Howell
Jason Howell asked Rowena Wiseman:

Delusion is a tough subject for writers, especially those who are just starting out. Sometimes we feel as though our stuff isn't worthy and we have trouble giving ourselves permission to write. But with so much competition out there, can a healthy helping of delusion ever be useful? Is it ever a tool you employ to help you keep going? Can you share an example of how you might manage delusion in a useful way?

Rowena Wiseman Wow - great question! I think delusion is an absolutely necessary ingredient to get anything creative or out of the ordinary done ever. Without a healthy dose of delusion I don't think a single novel would have been written, a sculpture created, an Olympics swimming race won or even a new cafe opened. Writers, by nature, are going to be slightly more delusional than others because we're dreamers, we imagine the unlikely, that's how we create fiction.
I remember two years back speaking to a relative of mine about a book I was writing and vividly recall this look of pity on her face, like she thought 'poor dear'. I got a strong sense that she thought I was delusional and plain silly for thinking I could be a writer. For a long time, I questioned it to. But the best tool for me has been putting my work out there - Wattpad has been the most amazing platform to discover there is an audience for my work.
Rather than hoping my delusion becomes a reality, I'd prefer to keep on being deluded, to dream bigger and to imagine greater. My greater worry would be becoming less delusional ...