A Goodreads user asked Amanda Hamm:

Can you give examples of things in your books that came from your life? And how you changed them?

Amanda Hamm The first three things that come to mind are:
1. In Andrew's Key, Andrew tells a story of his brother jumping off a garage roof. That actually happened to my dad. He was being Superman, not a paratrooper. There was glass and turpentine involved. He has a nice scar.

2. Two young boys in Jealousy & Yams call each other “you old lady” when they fight. I watched my daughter and my nephew doing that when they were I think 3 and 4 years old. I have no idea who started it or what made them decide that was an insult. I thought they were cute.

3. A friend of mine told me about a time her mom came to visit and accidentally made cookies with salt in place of sugar. No one ate those cookies but I turned it into a story of siblings being mean to each other in Said and Unsaid.