Goodreads asked David Anderson:

David Anderson I'm one of those writers who doesn't believe that there is any such thing as 'writer's block'. One can always write something, even if it is not very good. But, as Anne Lamott reminds us, first drafts are always s****y, so that's no excuse not to write.

However, I do prevaricate a lot before starting a new manuscript. This is where being part of a writers' group helps, as one must have new material to submit to the group. My group's looming monthly deadline gets me back to the keyboard.

Once I finally begin writing I can keep going quite easily. With 'Earthly Powers' I set myself the rule of writing a minimum of 600 (good) words per day, and that included Christmas Day and New Year's Day. No excuses, no exemptions. Keeping strictly to this rule meant that I was able to complete the novel in four and a half months.

This was great at the time but it meant that I put off my new, current project, 'Meaner Things', for longer than I otherwise would have. With it, I haven't set myself any strict daily targets but, to my pleasant surprise, I'm actually writing even faster than before. Of course, getting 'Earthly Powers' published has been a great impetus to forging ahead with my new novel!

In short, a partially completed novel keeps bugging me until I get it finished. So, as you can see, writer's block is not a problem for me. Just laziness!