Alex
Alex asked Bill Bodden:

Do you prefer writing fiction or non-fiction? Why?

Bill Bodden Ultimately, I prefer writing fiction, because I generally have a bit more latitude. It can be very rewarding to write in someone else's world using their characters and specs, so the RPG writing I do does offer many opportunities for creativity. However, I often find that if I have a sudden inspiration, I usually can't include it in that kind of writing work because it tends to go "off book".

More mainstream non-fiction can also be rewarding, but most of my work has been in non-traditional (i.e. gaming) non-fiction venues. Even though writing for games is essentially making things up, when one deals with historical subjects within the game framework -- as I often do -- it requires research and keeping a lid on my wilder impulses so the material doesn't get too far out of whack.

Thanks for the question, Alex!
Bill Bodden
33 followers