Goodreads asked Tammie Painter:

Tammie Painter I’ve always been fascinated with Greek mythology and came across a documentary series about the historical basis of many of the characters and stories in Greek legends. One of the episodes was on Hercules’s Twelve Labors and I thought, “How would that play out if this was set in modern times?”

I played around with the story trying to force it into a modern setting, but couldn’t get it to fit. About fifty pages into that draft, I realized it just wasn’t working (cue heavy sigh), but didn’t want to give up on the idea.

After thinking it over, I considered how the story could work if I set it in a post-apocalyptic future society that has adopted Greek (and some Roman) ways of life. And what if the gods were real players in this world? The idea took hold quickly. The outline and character sketches for the book flowed out in less than a couple hours and I had a rough draft in about six weeks