I hope to god that there's an adequate English translation. What's the best version?

To answer questions about Petersburg, please sign up.
Malcolm About half way through the Ellsworth translation (I tried the double M version and wasn't so taken by it): this is pure joy: Konrad Bayer shaking hands with Gogol! Can't recommend it highly enough.
Volkan As far as I know they have not yet translated this book so far ,but wordsworth edition is the best option for classics.Take in considaration for other books.
Thomas I do not read Russian so I am woefully unqualified to answer the question, but after reading half of the Cournos translation and wondering what I was missing I switched to Maguire and Malmstead. The Cournos seems almost sketchy compared to M&M. Michael Katz, writing for the Slavic and East European Journal, offers this conclusion: "If someone wants to read Bely's masterpiece and to understand most of it, then learn Russian and read it in the original; if he/she wants to understand some of it, then read Maguire and Malmstead's magisterial annotated, introduced, and reasonably well-translated scholarly edition; and if someone wants just to say that he/she has read Bely's Petersburg for the sake of adding one notch to his cultural gun (or just because Nabokov said it was "one of the greatest masterpieces of twentieth-century prose,") then go read Elsworth's version."
Image for Petersburg