Why didn't Marie Laure tell Jutta how Werner saved her life?

To answer questions about All the Light We Cannot See, please sign up.
Pixellle [Extension of question] I really loved this book. My only complaint is that Marie Laure didn't tell Jutta how Werner saved her life -- three times, by her own count. We, the readers, know about how Jutta was critical of Werner's involvement in the war. It would have given her such peace to know that Werner was able to do an ultimate kind, selfless act -- to save a life. Could saving one life atone for being part of something evil? Maybe. It would have been a great mercy, a great kindness, and one so easy and cheap to give. Why didn't she?
Cho Yim
Sue Percival I felt the same way, Pixelle. I asked the question on Doerr's Facebook page, but didn't get an answer back. Jutta traveled all that way from France and then Marie-Laure doesn't mention Werner saving her life? So sad.
Heidi
Hui I was very troubled by it at first. Then I thought, this is how real life is. After the war the initial contact between citizens of opposing sides can only be tentative. Hopefully, when Marie Laure sends Jutta her grandfather's record, they'd establish an ongoing connection, and eventually she'd tell her about Werner saving her life.
Carolin I was disappointed about that too, Pixelle, and agree with Sue Percival. To me, Marie-Laure and Jutta's conversation was so frustratingly unsatisfying - there was so much that they could have talked about, so much about Werner each could have learned from the other. (I was kind of expecting Jutta to mentioned Werner's love for Marie-Laure). The whole encounter was maybe two minutes. Two! And they presumably never saw or heard from each other again...
Image for All the Light We Cannot See
by Anthony Doerr (Goodreads Author)