Jane De vries
Jane De vries asked:

It has been SO long since I've read this book and it certainly would be a joy to read it again. Probably worthwhile to check the history behind the writing of it. Wasn't that a banned book at one time?

To answer questions about Gone with the Wind, please sign up.
Jess This book is a reflection of how the society of Atlanta in the early 20th century (including Margaret Mitchell) felt about the Civil War. I find that insight fascinating rather than off-putting. And the story of the characters would be amazing regardless of the historical context.
Madeline The history is as interesting as the book itself! Read her biography and the writing of the book snd the making of the film. Fascinating!
Sheila Dailie It is another viewpoint for a volatile time in history. But it is good to be reminded that the same event can have at least two sides, and often more. Though we may not agree with how things were handled, it is always good to gain understanding for another point of view.
Faith Thurmond Don't know if it was ever "banned" but i don't believe so. I know the tender little snowflakes of today's society would love to see my favorite book & film banned but we won't give them that satisfaction.
Desertorum I haven´t read this but I´m going to, next month when it´s a group read. Really looking forward to it!
Juliet Robertson It was,and is still a controversial book nearly 100 years on.For myself,who last read it in my early teens,it is engrossing and still resonates. Scarlett and Rhett are still timeless characters, and the story bursts with history and truth.
Missie If it ever was banned, that would not have been part of the history of its writing but only something that happened long after it was published and the movie made. A minor hiccup in time. :)
Harry Patrick Yes, the Nazi's banned it in I think 1939. It has also been banned twice in the US, once by a CA school district.
Penny I must have read this about 40 years ago, and whilst I liked it as a 20 something. I found the political aspect of the book overwhelming in parts, which put me off a bit! I also did not like the character of Scarlett O'Hara at all, and the thought of re-visiting her doesn't appeal in the slightest!!
Image for Gone with the Wind