I typically stick to YA, but I recently acquired this book. What is it that makes this book adult? As long as it doesn't have seriously innopropriate scenes, that's fine.

To answer questions about The Bone Season, please sign up.
Anna The main heroine is 19 in the 1st book and she will be probably in her early or mid twenties by the end of the series. Also most of the secondary characters are adults, not teenagers, and in the book there is some violence (about just as much as in "The Hunger Games") and one sex scene (briefly described, nothing explicit). However, I think that "The Bone Season" will appeal even more to YA readers than to readers who read only adult literature. I'm a YA fan myself and I highly recomend "The Bone Season" - the worldbuilding is amazing!
Jack Long I don't understand the division of genre based on the age of the protagonist. For example, Ender's Game and To Kill A Mockingbird. The protagonists in both are under 10, yet neither are kids books. Ender's Game can be read by readers of any age, but until you are a teenager, you won't understand the real story, only the one on the surface. If a 10 year old tried to read To Kill A Mockingbird, they would understand next to nothing. It is mostly an adult book, though I did read it in middle school.
The Bone Season fits all the trappings of a YA book. The themes and story progression are classic YA, and doesn't change much from the YA books that have come before it.
Cassandra This is really a YA book. The protagonist may be 19, but she feels like your typical 16-19yr old fantasy narrator, and really the book just feels similar to all the other hundreds of YA stuff I read. But it's a pretty good book.
Image for The Bone Season
by Samantha Shannon (Goodreads Author)