Bear
Bear asked:

Do I need to read the mageborn series to understand this??

To answer questions about The Mountains Rise, please sign up.
Casper Stilos I read this series without reading Mageborn and I've had no lingering questions. I do plan on reading Mageborn afterwards though.
Austin I read this book first to try out a chronological approach. Though now that I'm in book 2 of Mageborn knowing who Mordecai and company are kinda removes some suspense from the Mageborn series.

Regardless, Embers of Illeniel can be read alone just fine, and in fact I think this series is Manning's best work out of all his works.
Mordecai Illeniel "Embers of Illeniel" complements "Mageborn". It explains and expands some things from the main series, and sets up new plotlines for later books. If you read it alone, some things (like metamagic) would seem poorly-explained. Also, you wouldn't understand who Mordecai and Lynaralla are, and why is he telling this story in the first place. If you read it *before* "Mageborn", you will get a *lot* of spoilers. I would recommend to read it after "Mageborn" because of this.
Joao Augusto You can read it first, but i reccomend that you start with mageborn.
Considering only embers of illeniel, there is no need to read mageborn first, but if you planning to read mageborn, the extra knowledge that you will obtaing in embers of ileniel will spoil some of the fun of mageborn.
Xander I dont really see why, since it takes place several thousand years before the mageborn series. Although its basically Mordecai Illeniel telling the story to his kids, so you wouldn't really know who they are. I would recommend you read them though. Not only is it a great series, but it would give you a good foundation for the background, such as how the magic system works and stuff. Not that this book doesn't explain it aswell.
Image for The Mountains Rise
by Michael G. Manning (Goodreads Author)