Toom
Toom asked:

To answer questions about After Dark, please sign up.
A. de Daumier-Smith This book's main focus is to show the meddling world of night-regulars and day-regulars. Shirakawa, the prostitute, Alphaville hotel workers, the mafia, they all belong to the night, whereas Meri and Takahashi are just visitors. The night has a tendency to corrupt, hence Takahashi's moral problems, represented in the volume of fat in his milk.
My hunch is that the story of Eri is intentionally kept a mystery, to emphasise the non-comprehensibility of the metaphysical world, yet still hinting at the evil attributions of it.
Murakami gives you a God vision, which is pretty common in cinema, yet makes it a challenge to follow the script on paper.
Hope this helped.
Gina I wonder if there is a link between Takahashi and Eri. Is Takahashi the faceless man in Eri’s room? There is a point in the book when Takahashi looks in the mirror and when he walks away his reflection remains in the mirror. This led me to think there is a connection. The pencil being in both their worlds, also a symbol to connect the two people. The fact that Eri is beautiful and abuses prescription medicine. Could she have been prostitiuing and she became so worn down from it that she put herself in this sleeping phase? Mari wondering about her sister and not knowing her and when she talks to someone about it, it ends up leading her to learning about the dark world that is Alphaville? I could totally be wrong but that where the story led me. :)
Hans Nam this book seems rushed to end quickly, leaving many, many questions unanswered. For example the role of the faceless man, the mirror reflections etc. It's best to enjoy the atmosphere it brings and forget about the plot - it's horrible
Lannie Mari is an avatar for the Night, and Eri the Day. Eri sleeps while Mari is awake, and the pencil possibly represents the thin line between Night and Day. TV is used a couple times to show the inner workings of people in the story, and for Eri it's possibly to represent the fact that when Night is happening, she's trapped away, voiceless and struggling.
Image for After Dark