Rudy Parker
Rudy Parker asked:

Wow i absolutely loved 'In the Garden of Beasts'! Is 'Dead Wake' written in a similar style/from a similar perspective? Or is it taking a different Tack (excuse my awful pun!)? Thanks, Rudy

Marilee Yes… I'm about a third of the way through and it's absolutely enthralling. Larson has a rare talent for researching historical facts, digesting them and then constructing a narrative that reads like a novel. He's focused on key characters, using various sources to bring them to life… and suspense is building, even though we history buffs know the basic facts… it's playing out in suspenseful fashion as the Lusitania prepares to sail from New York to the UK on May 1915. Not at all one sided, we are also introduced to the German U boat service and it's men.
Karen I loved The Devil in the White City as well and I look forward to reading Larson's other works. I'm lucky enough to hear Larson speak about Dead Wake tonight at a local bookstore. Can't wait to get my hands on a copy!
Raconteur 'In the Garden of Beasts' provides the most nourishing historical ground available. Our unassuming ambassador is a bit naive about the dangers he signed on to. Hence, history knocks on his Berlin mansion and gets filtered through his daughter's amorous adventures. I am about halfway done in "Dead Wake" and one can feel the dread that is propagated across the passengers of the 'Lusitania' from the beginning of the book. World War I, started as an underestimated war, and no-one took the thread seriously. The stories couldn't be more different but I can't put it down. The historical detail and 'deep dives' of different characters in the book are amazing - a must read.
Diane Hi Rudy,
I'm almost finished and I'm enjoying the heck out of Dead Wake. Larson is a master at weaving in the facts from different perspectives. This is no exception. It's pretty heavy on submarine facts but I'm learning a great deal and that makes it so worthwhile. I hope you enjoy it!
Andrew Breslin I read them in reverse order: Dead Wake then In the Garden of Beasts. Both were superb. But I'd give the edge to Dead Wake. It was so gripping I couldn't put it down.
Margaret1358 Joyce Hi Rudy, As I didn't read 'In the Garden of Beasts,' I can't comment on similarities of perspective between it and 'Dead Wake.', but I did read read 'The Devil in the White City,' and have just finished .'Dead Wake,' and can say Larson's narrative skills seem to have become even stronger and more passionate. The reader of 'Dead Wake' feels the full impact of all the action. Fantastic tour de force. I didn't want to put it down but had to from time to time to digest the information and emotional impact.
Jeremiah Good question. I loved 'In the Garden of Beasts' too. I think I'll definitely give it a shot. I hope it's as good.
Roz I think it is similar in that it focuses on people and events pretty equally. It is not a traditional history book, of course, but I learned more about WWI than I even did in school, plus didn't tax my brain since he is clever and keeps you interested. It does make you think about wars in general and how countries get into them or not.
Garden of Beasts would not be as interesting if the people weren't real to the reader. Same in this book. Took me a little while to get into it but very glad I did.
Ross Rawnsley Rudy,
I also loved "In the Garden of Beasts" and this one is just as good, IMO. Larson has a knack for taking historical facts and weaving them into a greatly entertaining package! Enjoy Dead Wake!
Marlene While I was disappointed by Dead Wake I was enthralled by In the Garden of the Beasts and The Devil in the White City.
Linda Still Erik Larson is a master at getting historical facts. I've already read his Devil in the White City about a serial killer at the Chicago World's Fair and have just received In the Garden of Beasts. Dead Wake is written in story form but the facts are gleaned from telegrams, ships' logs, remembrances from survivors and the infamous British intelligence agency 40. Absolutely recommend this book to anyone interest in history. Told from both British and German view points.
Pete Erkeneff Yes Rudy, that was a terrible pun, but quite appropriate, for if Captain Turner tried to tack away at a different angle, we would discussing another book. If you enjoyed reading In The Garden of the Beasts, read The Devil in the White City..
Evan Hammerman No pun is tacky. They are all bad.

If the book is anything like The Devil in the White City or Garden of Beasts, it will be a good one. Please remind me of his other works.
Image for Dead Wake
by Erik Larson (Goodreads Author)