Suggested age range? I am currently reading this book and I love it. I am also constantly thinking my fourth grade son will love it too (he loves all books, classics, Shakespeare, operas, etc). I was thinking we could listen to the audio version in the car together. Is there anything saucy or scary that might be inappropriate (very subjective question, I know...) for him, or his little brother?

To answer questions about The Signature of All Things, please sign up.
Carol I'm only half-way through the book, but it is definitely inappropriate for a fourth grade boy! Just...no.
Kathy Lies No matter how advanced your child is, I don't think this book is either appropriate nor will hold his attention. It does have some explicit sexual scenes, and I think that it would bore him to tears. If you want good audio books, look into Jim Weiss's audiobooks. My children grew up with them, and learned Greek mythology, among other literatures, early on by listening in the car. He has a wide variety of cultural works, and tells stories beautifully.
Melanie Smith The story arc climaxes as the protagonist performs oral sex on someone. As a child and pre-teen I would have been either confused or just plain turned off. Okay, as an adult I was a bit bewildered too, that--after a lifetime of study and achievement--this amazing woman should hold this particular act as her piece de resistance.
Jennifer Doyle I don't think it's appropriate for children. There are a quite a few sexual situations.
Maureen Kowker There are many good science books written for children. This book is an excellent book for adults.
Janet I found bits of the book stand alone and can be read aloud and hold interest for kids. The entire book is way too long and the story line too varied to hold the interest of a child for it's entirety. I found the adventures of Henry, with some on-the-fly omissions, was lively and descriptive, but slow enough to make a good bedtime story for 4 littles ages preteen - 6 years. We were on vacation and I couldn't get any other stories to load on the Kindle before the natives became restless!
Christopher Parker The book may indeed not hold a child's attention and the questions the book explores are the sort the middle aged adults puzzle.

That said, the sexual situations are not graphic and there is no reason to hide them from children. They are hardly salacious and show sexuality (there is no actual sex) as much more boring and ordinary than popular advertising would have it, which I'd say is actually quite a good lesson for kids.
Douglas E. I just got to the part where Alma discovers the pleasures of masturbation. You decide.
Kelsey Sexual awakening is a regular topic in this book... if you get my drift. Not major, not too graphic, but it's there. When it comes to language, I can't see anyone younger than a young adult getting into this story. It reads like a serious, but stunning classic. Definitely wouldn't interest a child.
Flapidouille Well, as much as I would recommend this book for anybody, this is definitely not for a child, maybe not for a teenager either.
There are quite a few extremely detailed passages that should not be read at too early a stage. And I am not particularly prudish -- not at all even !
Also, many most fascinating passages are likely to thoroughly bore a child / teenager, I fear; so, better not spoil their later enjoyment.
Blanche Nichols Portions of the book are most inappropriate for your sons. The sexual aspects and insinuations of the story will probably generate more questions than you prefer to answer for them at their ages.
nasya soraya I read this book at 11. I loved it and hence...
Image for The Signature of All Things
by Elizabeth Gilbert (Goodreads Author)