Pete
Pete asked:

I was thinking about reading The Witcher books in anticipation of The Witcher 3 video game. Having no prior knowledge of The Witcher universe, I wondered if anyone could tell me the relationship between the books and the games - Are they direct adaptions, borrow elements, or just the same characters in the same universe with no other links? Thanks!

To answer questions about Blood of Elves, please sign up.
Μιχάλης The games are a loose sequel to the books, meaning that they come after the seventh novel and borrow on a lot of events from the books (from instance, the Strigga storyline from the Last Wish comes up in The Witcher Game) but, at the same time, they are not a strict sequel as some secondary characters are reinterpreted(is The Professor)

At the same time, the characterisation of the characters is non-consistent, having even the main character being much different in books and in the game.
Samantha Lienhard The previous answer is largely correct. The games are sequels to the books, but the games generally reveal the necessary details as you go.

However, it looks like The Witcher 3 is going to have an even stronger connection to the novels, as key characters previously not seen in the games are in it.
Owen Hopefully someone who has finished all the books will be able to correct me if I'm wrong about, or expand upon, any points here, but as I understand it, the games are set roughly five years after the final book of the saga. Characters are referenced to - and occasionally return - from the books. However, from the beginning of the games, Geralt has amnesia, and so some significant details from the books and the story set between the two media are gradually revealed throughout the games. Even the second game explains enough of the story from the first to get new players up to speed (admittedly, after four or five hours of initial confusion). As for the overall relationship between books and games, in regards to main series canon, the author, Andrzej Sapkowski, has taken no part in the creation of the games and does not consider them part of his story, though he wishes the developers well and is pleased for their success.
Michael Natale The books are fantastic. Haven't played the video games but IMHO you shouldn't wait to read the novels. They're simply too good.
Image for Blood of Elves