Morgancaines
Morgancaines asked:

If Piggy wasn't taken care of by Ralph throughout the book, do you think he could have turned a savage?

To answer questions about Lord of the Flies, please sign up.
Sara La porta I wouldn't even say that Ralph takes care of Piggy. Ralph turns to Piggy as he is deceived by Jack's irresponsibility and only after that shows to respect him.
Jack and Piggy simply have incompatible personalities and wouldn't get along in any case.
Piggy is the one who really thinks between him and Ralph and the one who keeps Ralph going when he is discouraged and thinks of giving up his leadership. That's why I think that it would rather be easier for Ralph to become a savage without Piggy.
Jake I don't think so. Piggy seemed to be a symbol of rationality in the book. He was the same as Ralph for the reason that they believed survival to be their main priority.
Maya Behura Piggy seemed to be almost an anchor, keeping Ralph from turning into an almost savage person himself. I doubt Piggy ever would have turned into a savage since he was a symbol of reasoning but there is a gray area. It is mentioned in the book that after Simon died, Ralph was the one claiming that he was murdered while Piggy justified it by saying that they were scared. It shows that everyone, no matter who, can eventually turn into somewhat of a savage. However, I disagree with the point that Piggy would have turned into a savage if he wasn't take care of by Ralph as that didn't really happen (Ralph was one of the boys that either made fun of Piggy or turned to him for advice).
Image for Lord of the Flies