Tanesh
Tanesh asked:

i want to read asian saga series,should i read in chronological order or by publication??are the books even related??

To answer questions about King Rat, please sign up.
James M I read them in publication order as they were released. That being said, I have reread them twice in chronological order (once in my 20s, and again in my 50s) and really enjoyed the flow better. For example reading Gai Jin right after Tai Pan was good because I had a foundation to understand who Gordon Chen was and who Tess was and how she came to be.. etc. Also having read Shogun before Gail Jin was also helpful to know who the Toranaga's were as well a how the Yoshiwara was conceived.
Dr Brown A bit late my answer (3 years!) but Shogun and King Rat imho share nothing except both are in Asia. Well, both are fantastic novels! I started Tai Pan but just could not take the mentality of the characters, I stopped after a few chapters. It's all about making moola without honor...
Kathy Gilbert I recommend chronological order. After Tai Pan, Gai Jin more or less continues the story of several Tai Pan characters. Understanding these characters' history and personalities as outlined in Tai Pan added quite a bit for hubs and I as we listened to Gai Jin together. Couldn't connect anything or anyone from Gai Jin to King Rat, though. The Noble House and the Struan family figure prominently in both Tai Pan and Gai Jin, so we are looking forward to listening to Noble House next. King Rat was sort of a break for us, much easier to follow than TP and GJ. I think it would be confusing to reverse the order of Gai Jin and Tai Pan. We read Shogun together years ago, so I can't comment on any connections or whether they exist. I have no idea why Clavell published these books so far out of chronological order. They can obviously be read in publication order; I just think they make more sense chronologically.
Magdalene Drummond I started with Shogun and read in chronological order, as have a couple of my friends I forced to read the books as I knew they'd love them lol.
I haven't finally wished noble house or whirlwind yet as I personally enjoy books set in history.
Joao Fezas Vital I read king rat, I just finished shogun and I'm going to start tai-pan now.. I don't think there's a huge connection between the books so just read them as you want to
Steven Harbin I read them in the order published. That seemed to work for me, although it probably would work if you read them in chronological order as well. Sorry if that's an "iffy" answer :)
Image for King Rat