Robert Haile
Robert Haile asked:

The Emperor of Maladies was well written, thoroughly researched, and seemed medically accurate( I am an MD. ), but ultimately I and I wonder if others slowed down the pace of reading due to the sheer volume of information?

To answer questions about The Emperor of All Maladies, please sign up.
Rosalie I've read other long, rich histories (science, medicine, general history, etc), but have not lost my way in the middle so much as I did with this book. As you say, it is incredibly well-researched, but it does seem to suffer from a 'too slow in the middle' syndrome. I haven't reviewed the book, but only because I've put it aside unfinished. Your question helped me to understand why. It's more about the storytelling pace, than the amount of information. Thanks.
Betsy As you will see from my review, I started it in print, put it down, but went back to it on Mp3. It took a round-trip drive from San Francisco to San Diego, plus some extra time, to get through it. Yes, I zoned out at times, but really enjoyed the storytelling and the challenge of info that is, for me, a foreign language. Not everyone will read it, but those who do will be rewarded.
Kumari de Silva I started reading this book because I have Cancer. I read fast at first because the historical part that was far from me remains interesting and far off - - but as I neared the current times, I realized my care is a therapy that is less than 5 or 10 years old. That gave me pause. It's disappointing to realize so little is known, yet hopeful to realize so many people are working so hard to understand what is happening. It has become a hard book to continue, but I do believe I will finish it.
Jamal Uddin I was deeply moved reading it.As a practicing physician the narrative felt very real in terms of human suffering often with dignity.Anguish of care givers was also palpable when nothing was left to offer to ease the misery.
History of cancer is educational from a cell biologists and oncologists perspective. Scientific information was latest and make this reader hopeful that the ugly face of malignacy is soon to be unmasked.
Inu Teelock It took me one year to read this book. It's still beautifully written, but now that I've finished it, I know why it took so long. It might be weird, but everything involving cancer activists, while interesting, slowed me down a lot. I guess that's because I much preferred the scientific aspect of the book. And so this weird pattern came up : 5 days for the first 150 pages or so, nearly a year for the next 150 and another 5 days for the last 150.
Jackie I am about 80% through. I think the reason for the comments is that the narrative thread is more convoluted in the latter part of the book.
Beth I think our responses to art of any kind are highly subjective. Personal opinion is just that....personal.
Katrina Cathcart I am still reading the book about a third through and am still enjoying it. Very informative. I saw two of the movie series and will view again after I finish the book.
Joanna T I think the sheer volume is what I found discouraging. I wasn't able to read the entire book and had to 'give up'. I feel like a 'quitter' but it was due for a second time at my local library. I had to admit to myself that I had learned enough and could move on knowing that I got through 2/3rds of it. I did enjoy the PBS Series...well, using the word 'enjoy' is probably not accurate, since the subject matter is cancer. It was an emotional experience, as well. I was very interested in the history and the methods of treatment going back to early scientific discoveries in medical diagnosis and patient health 'management'. Because cancer seems like it is at most 'managed', not cured. At least for now in 2015.
Karen Lord You could watch the documentary on PBS, March 30th, 31st and April 1st. It is very well put together. Karen Lord aka:Ella
Linda Duggan Yes Dr. Halle. I agree. I had to slow the pace down. This book is stuffed full of great detail. I'm not an MD but I have worked exclusively in the cancer field for 30 years and there is so much revealed in this text that I did not know. I'm loving the book and I don't want to miss the details by rushing through it.
Betya Abelev It is the amount of information, but also multiple threads that the author had to keep track of -- doctors trying to cure the (many different types of) disease, scientists trying to understand the (many possible) origins of the disease, the public health aspect, the personal aspect, etc, etc, etc.

It's a tangled web, and I feel that the author had done as best a job as possible, given the enormous complexity of the subject.
Pratik Gupte No, not at all. It might have helped that as a biology graduate, the jargon was quite familiar to me.
Lilac I am a little over halfway through, only because I skipped a bunch when I could tell I was going to stall out. As someone else said, I wasn't all that interested in the activism, or necessarily in all of the science. I am much more interested to learn about what can be done to prevent cancers caused by things like pollution and diet, which he has only slightly touched on so far.
QING Well, I may say that I finished a half of the book with enthusiasm (well reading with my mother tongue also helped). I really thought it was a great book. But curiously, I remain stagnant for the sencond half of the book and don't know why.
Image for The Emperor of All Maladies