Liz V
Liz V asked Frances Mayes:

A Year in the World and Tuscan Sun seemed like total joys to write. To what extent did you find it difficult to write about your identity in these places--how does place feature in the way you write about yourself (in the PROCESS of writing, that is). Is Under Magnolia this way? Currently i am trying to write about what it means for me to be a child of immigrants now living in the South, so place is big for me.

Frances Mayes They were joys to write! My natural stance when traveling is "innocent abroad." I want to remain open to the place as it is, to experience without forming quick opinions. My writing is all about place and especially so in Under Magnolia, where I try to describe how I feel formed by the place where I grew up and to acknowledge the power of landscape and the history imbued in it.