Erin Martin
Erin Martin asked:

is this book a sequel to the giver? or is it it's own separate world?

To answer questions about Gathering Blue, please sign up.
Stephanie Arnold Yes this is a sequel to "The Giver" there are four in the series:
1. The Giver
2. Gathering Blue
3. Messenger
4. Son

If you read Messenger you will have the answer to the ending of "The Giver" - did they really arrive or did they die dreaming? You will meet some old friends in #3 & 4 though they will be older.
Steve Neither, really. It's not a sequel, in that there are no characters who appear in both, they are set is separate contemporaneous communities, and the action doesn't follow from the end of the earlier book. But it is in the same world; the stories come together in the final two books of the series.
Lainey They are different places and people but they all tie together. The same characters appear in the second and third book, then you go back to some of the characters from the the first book in the fourth book. I was glad I read them all. It was a nice conclusion.
Ayah It's a whole different story, in a separate world, but somehow, they're alike. They portray the same time period (about 60 years in the future), but opposite societies.
Sofie I actually had that feeling too, and I read that Lois Lowry said that she didn't originally write it as a sequel to The Giver
Elehy yes bc in the messenger all the characters come together
Image for Gathering Blue
by Lois Lowry (Goodreads Author)