Dina
Dina asked:

Are we ever gonna see a movie made based on this book? Me thinks its going to be fantastic.

To answer questions about The Alienist, please sign up.
Roberta TNT is producing a mini-series of the novel for 2016; no cast yet, but should be announced soon so watch the internet. I think it will translate great to screen and a mini-series may be better than a movie as gives them more time to flesh out all of the characters. Should be grand!
Jamie The mini series starts next Monday and I cannot wait! I have read thi book 3 times since it's publishing and am always in search of a book that can match the way this one captured my attention. Hoping the show is just as good!
ShanDizzy Caleb Carr's The Alienist, soon to be a television series on TNT Drama​ starring Daniel Brühl, Dakota Fanning, and Luke Evans.
Miriam Here is the trailer for the TNT drama version. It looks really good to me :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q9867...
Tracy They are currently shooting it in Budapest as a TNT series. Should be good!
Sofia Daniel Bruhl (Dr. Laszlo Kreizler) and Luke Evans (John Moore) have been cast so far :)
Anna I sure hope so! I've been trying to cast the movie in my imagination for years!
Dron I'm kind of late, but if you're still interested, there's a TV series on Netflix. I don't know how good it is or how similar it is to this book, though (could be worse or better)
Monica I've watched a couple episodes but have not read the book. The series is riveting for me anyways. Some might not like it. I dont know I just cant look away! After the mini-series finishes I might take a gander at the book. There is some sex with prostitutes in it and there is some addiction to sex and probably other things I've yet to see. Its definitely not for the faint of heart. Its a dark series. Think a very twisted Sherlock Holmes that goes sooo very dark lol. Its horrifying at times but you think to yourself this type of stuff probably happened around those times. It just wasnt publicized all that much they probably kept a lot from the public then. I find it interesting and will continue to watch and read when its over.
Kevin The mini-series begins tomorrow night (1/22/18) on TNT at 8 pm. I can't wait as I looked over the cast, trailers, and location. All sounds very interesting and hope it's true to the book. I like them casting Dakota Fanning as Sarah, from seeing her in past movies, I think she should carry the part well.
Zee Update:

There is a two-part series (2 seasons) on Netflix so far (2022). The series kind of has this "pull you in" quality to it. If you enjoy movies like RDJ's Sherlock Holmes, BC's Sherlock, etc., You might want to give this a try. Spoiler Alert, this is not for the faint-hearted or those that are uncomfortable with gory stuff.
Kris I have watched the first episode of the series and was completely turned off. It hyped up the sex and gore, and I just thought it was not well-done. Carr's book had more humor and comradery of the characters working together to solve the murder mystery. I stopped watching after the first episode. I may try another episode to see if it improved ... but after finishing the book, I kind of don't want to ruin my good impression of the book with my bad impression of the show.
Image for The Alienist
by Caleb Carr (Goodreads Author)