Sandy Fry
Sandy Fry asked:

I can understand why China and South Korea have done nothing to put an end to these camps, but why have the United Nations and the United States done so little?

Charlie Bomberg Nobody know how North Korea works. Nobody outside NK really knows how the internal political structure of Pyongyang works, and those inside NK who know won't ever, ever tell.
So, what should the UN or the USA do? Nuke the country and kill thousands, if not millions of innocent people? The people who, their entire life, have heard that the USA is their greatest, darkest enemy, and now suddenly they come and nuke their great leader? Probably a bad idea.
Should someone try to infiltrate the country? How? NK knows exactly who gets into the country, for how long they are staying and are generally monitoring their every move.
Start a war? Great idea! Look what happened in Iraq or Afghanistan. Those sure a civilized, rich countries without problems now.

Don't get me wrong. I don't support the system in North Korea a single bit and I'd wish there was something we could do, but it's pretty hard just going into a country and, you know, do something because WE think it's wrong. Luckily we are over the times where you could just wander into another country and declare a war, because that hasn't really gotten us anywhere. I don't think anyone has done anything because it would require a huge sacrifice of innocent people.
Also: I don't think anyone will do anything before NK decides to actually attack "the West", which they probably won't do anytime soon because they know the consequences. Yes, they do have nuclear weapons in NK, but they probably would never use them. They can "only" reach countries like China (their only ally so probably a bad idea), South Korea, Japan and Guam; the last three of which would then receive help from the UN and the USA who North Korea knows they can't stop. NK teaches its people to believe they are the superior power in this world, but I'm pretty sure Kim Jong Un and his people know they can't win a war agains, well, anybody.
Also, notable: I'm not sure the world is ready for the huge flow of NK immigrants if the state of NK was suddenly demolished. If you've read Camp 14 or seen any interviews with people escaping NK you will know that integration is immensely hard for them. They haven't learn to think for themselves and suddenly allowing yourself to think is harder than one can believe. And I'm not sure any country is ready to take on the responsibility that comes with that.

Correct me if I'm wrong; this is only my assumptions.
Erika If you're looking for a good insight to why North Korea is still North Korea, I'd highly recommend reading "The Impossible State" by Victor Cha.

Basically, it comes down to North Korea has thousands of ballistic missiles pointed at its neighbors. Even if we made any attempt to strike at them, the cost would be hundreds of thousands of dead and injured within missile distance. Even if they haven't figured out their long-range missiles yet, they can still hurt a lot of people. A military leader from the U.S. said that an invasion would cost 1 million lives in the 1990s.

As long as China remains a supporter of the Kim regime, unfortunately, these camps are here to stay.
Dingkang Zhang The issue regarding to North Korea's abuse of human right is rather complicated.

On one hand, the U.S. and U.N. had limited real power to meddle with the North Korean government because of the NK has considerable bargaining power on the negotiation table. With its nuclear weapon and the forth largest, and most radicalized, conventional force, any attempt to temper with the NK might end up with a catastrophe.

On the other hand, on the stage of geopolitics, nation-states would only carry out actions for or against another regime when there are real economic or politic interest involved. For example, if the U.S. is not going after having the oils priced in USD, will there even be a Iraq war or Afghanistan War at all?

As the result, I think unless the power structure in the N.K. breakdown from the inside due to the pressure imposed by the international community, otherwise there is actually very little that we can do about it.
Image for Escape from Camp 14
by Blaine Harden (Goodreads Author)