What do you think about this following passage ? What is he telling the reader? “I am fading away. Slowly but surely. Like the sailor who watches his home shore gradually disappear, I watch my past recede. My old life still burns within me, but more and more of it is reduced to the ashes of memory.” Pg 81

Seamus A person mostly sustains themselves with the constructions they have built of themselves, their place in the world and their life more generally. Bauby is talking about his present moment attachment to all those constructions and how his attachment to them and identification with them is fading. I don't use the word 'constructions' in a pejorative sense.
Elaine Shircliff I think he is trying to say that the life he knew no longer exists. The longer he lives in the coma the further away the life he once lived gets.
Bobbe His intensity of memories is fading. He finds meaning in his reflections, but being locked inside of his body, time diminishes the sharpness of all of his past experiences. I found this quote to be powerfully sad.
M.M. M S. He was coming less and less to identify with his pre-stroke self as anything other than a memory.
Adriana Anna He is aware of his condition and his fading away....his past a memory, a distant shore...he became a vessel that leaves the life behind...but it's still a voyage...no matter in what condition, life has a value...he proved it by writing his journey in this book...it's amazing the way he put everything into something so constructive...the purpose of life lays within us...WE are the purpose of our lives...
Image for The Diving Bell and the Butterfly