Lisa
Lisa asked Julia Glass:

Hi was it difficult to revisit the characters from a previous book after so many years removed from creating them? p.s. work at the Lincoln Public Library and want to say hi Lisa

Julia Glass Greetings to the most important library in my life! (Though I miss the version of the library I knew as a child, before the fancy additions and alterations of the 1980s.) In answer to your question, it was challenging, but because I had been longing to revisit a certain character--Lucinda Burns--from my first novel, it was more exciting than difficult. I did have to reread "Three Junes," and I did so with some trepidation, because I was afraid I might be disappointed by my own writing or feel the impossible urge to rewrite parts of it--but happily, that wasn't the case. Sometimes I did find myself surprised by "facts" I had misremembered (for instance, Malachy Burns's birth order), and teasing out a plot line involving a "secret child" meant extending the story further back in the past than I had originally intended, but I love taking characters i've known for years and introducing them to new characters--seeing where the chemistry takes them.
Julia Glass
637 followers