Elizabeth Knight

Why is Rooftoppers by Katherine Blundell rated as a children's future classic by some? Do children or teenagers read it? How would I, as a teacher, begin to talk to children about this book. Is it a metaphor for childhood existence under duress? Does it fit into the classification of fantasy. Any ideas, anyone?

To answer questions about Rooftoppers, please sign up.
joyce sajit It's nowhere near a classic. It's just about good-natured dreams that don't really mean anything. If you've read my review on it, you'll agree.
Donna Hi, Elizabeth :) I only just now saw your question here. I'm not a teacher so can't answer, with any expertise, on how it would be approached from that aspect.

This is classified as a "Young Reader/Middle Grade" read as far as content and the age of the protagonist. This is not the typical reading material for teenagers unless they're the type that realize most books are for ALL readers :D

I wouldn't consider it fantasy, but "fantastical." The course of events are quite far-fetched, but it's one of the most appealing things about the book, I think. I would say the underlying themes would be about the power of love, the fact that even those who might be considered to be "unfit" as a parent are suited in the ways that matter (at least in my opinion in this case), and also about determination and perseverance---trusting in one's gut feelings. It's also about following one's own path and being comfortable in one's own skin. I just love this book :)
Image for Rooftoppers