Goodreads asked Clive Birnie:

Clive Birnie A big mixture of ideas and fragments, books, films, throw away conversations, things I love. I wanted to write a book that riffs like a tribute band but has its own numbers. I wanted to write a book for geeks and nerds. A canny reader of Time Travel Hotel will find nods, winks, and references to Herodotus, Catch 22, Kurt Vonnegut, Waiting for Godot, The Monty Python Cheese Shop sketch, Star Wars, the 15th Century Hungarian king Mattias Corvinus, The Wasteland by TS Eliot, The Simpsons, Liutprand of Cremona, historian of Otto the Great, the great Dada poet Tristan Tzara, the Adventures of Tintin and Hong Kong Phooey

Also I wanted to write a book that is an intelligent experiment and yet a delinquent easy read at the same time. Experimental shouldn't mean difficult by default. It can be fun - should be fun. Cinema can be kooky and surreal and bonkers and we don't blink but if that is in a book it is either filed under genre or considered difficult, so I guess I am trying to mess with that a little as well by writing a book that wears its literary badge but is also a genre book. Which genre? Someone said it was the funniest Time Travel Detective Sex Comedy they have ever read - if that helps.