Laura Testa
Laura Testa asked:

Is this book appropriate for an 11 yr old boy?

To answer questions about The Crossover, please sign up.
Connie Compton I was fortunately to hear Kwame Alexander speak about this book (and read selections aloud!). He said wrote it for middle grades boys. I'm a teacher and some of my 6th grade boys have read it and loved it.
Julie Suzanne Absolutely! I'd say grades 6-8, boys especially. Quick read.
Adam It's not always about age, but also think about maturity level.
Hunter ys this book is good for 11 year old it is good for kid middle school
Drew Zook I agree with Adam
Anna Yes! Pretty much written for them
Trevor Hurd Definitely, I just finished It
S Yes.
A reasonably intelligent 8 year old wouldn't have problems with this book, either in vocabulary or content.
If I had to speculate, I would say this book is geared for boys, 10-14.
(5th - 8th grade, middle school).
Content is about as clean as it gets, while still retaining the conflict and emotion needed for a good read.
Jill I don't think there is anything content-wise that is inappropriate or of concern. (Families differ on that - so I'll be more specific: no swearing, no sex or detailed descriptions of a woman's/girl's body. )

If wondering about interest level: if the boy enjoys sports, particularly basketball - he'll be interested.

Written in prose format - but reads like a story - except at times when the story is told in verse similar to rap lyrics.

Great life lessons in the "Basketball lesson #1"... through 10 can be accepted at face value - for good sportsmanship and work hard/practice - can also be considered more deeply to fully appreciate the wisdom and love - communicated, realized, acknowledged.

Very strong family relationships.

Strong boy relationships - evolving.

Suggest you read it - can preview it in a few hours and enjoy a really good book.
Katherine Buckingham is this book still ok for a 14 year old
Rachel Myers Yes, it's about middle school boys and a very quick read
Noraa no not really. I think you might need to wait until he is 12 years old, because then it is appropriate for him.
Ian Laura really nice to see ya. But this little timmy wouldnt understand this book as much as he would if he waited till he was 12. 1 year may not be a big difference but trust me an 11 year old to a 12 year is a big difference! But tell timmy i said hello
Leia ABSOLUTELY! This is a perfect example of upper middle grade fiction.
Image for The Crossover