Mkittysamom
Mkittysamom asked Frances Mayes:

My question is...and I haven't read your memoir yet only "Under the Tuscan Sun". ...How does someone who is really poor set out to the goal of living in another country? I guess I really felt jealous reading "Under the Tuscan Sun" because it seems only people with lots of money, who graduated college can do what you did.

Frances Mayes I'm a great believer in WILL. The old saying, where there's a will there's a way. First, there are on-line language courses, such as Duolingo.
Learning the language of the country you love is super important. After that, you have to find some way to get there and try it out and make sure it's not just a fantasy--that you really love the place. Sorry I don't have any magic solutions. I was a college teacher who took a big risk, but, I realize, I had the back-up to take such a risk. You've got to have some savings or some fairy godmother, or some skill such as teaching or computer savvy. In Italy, like anywhere, personal contacts pave the way. Good luck!