M.L. Jacobs
M.L. Jacobs asked S.J. Watson:

How long did it take you to write Before I go to Sleep and do you have a strict writing schedule? I loved the novel and can't wait until next year for your new book!

S.J. Watson Hi! The first draft was done quite quickly - about six to eight months - but then I left it alone for a while before editing. From the first idea until the moment it was done was about fourteen months, I'd say.

I don't have a strict schedule, other than I try to write every day. I'm not a fan of strict schedules - for me (and it's different for everyone) they just cause tension and it becomes impossible to do good work - so every day I take a look at the diary and see when will be best to sit down to work.

Writing at some point every day is vital. I aim for one thousand words. Sometimes I achieve them, sometimes I don't, but it's important to exercise the muscle and also to stay in the world of the novel. The more regularly you pierce the membrane that separates you from the fictional world the easier it gets, but the opposite is also true. A few days away can make it very hard to get back into the work.