Goodreads asked Wai Chim:

Wai Chim Okay Goodreads has default questions for Authors to answer - like a bit of a challenge to see if you actually answer these things or something. Alright, well I'll show you.

The idea for my most recent book (Chook Chook: Saving the Farm) came from a newspaper headline I saw. It was about a duck farmer in China whose house was sticking out of a newly constructed road. As it turned out, the farmer had refused to give up his house when the government demanded the area to construct the freeway, so the construction team built the road around his home, so that it was literally sticking out of the middle lane! I thought this was a great idea for a story that featured Mei and her family standing up to the authorities to keep their home.