Etta
Etta asked:

Does the Alice Howland has anything to do with the Alice from Alice in Wonderland? Could be a sort of possible sequel to the series the same way "The Cheshire" (by Bill Kte'pi) was written or the song "The Girl That's Never Been". I can't help but notice that Alice Howland is a linguistic professor and in both books of the 'Alice in Wonderland' series plays with a lot of cryptic word puzzles.

To answer questions about Still Alice, please sign up.
ScrappyMags There's some verbal irony I suppose if you look at Alice as being "down the rabbit hole" so to speak - that rabbit hole being Alzheimer's. Maybe something about that journey. As Alice Howland discovered with her disease things get "curiouser and curiouser" but not in the whimsical, positive way of AIW. However, I've heard TONS of symbolism theories for AIW, and subconsciously there could've been a tie. Interesting question. You have me thinking. Darn you. Haha
Linda McF-Schuler I didn't think of Alice in Wonderland when I read Still Alice (or when I saw the movie). Alice the Cognitive Psychology Professor with Early Onset Alzheimer's said this to me: No matter who you are, how intelligent you are, how good you are with words and thoughts--you lose yourself in Alzheimer's and you must fight until the end, holding on to all that you are and have ever been... because you are Still You. And the world of people outside of the disease will usually not have a clue what the world becomes to you; they will rarely notice that your mind is still alive, although quickly dying, and that there are times when new synapses grow to allow you to continue to cope and to think. Alice Alzheimer is the new outside person with steadily changing inside, but is really just Still Alice. And Alice, Still Alice, knows more than she can tell you. If we could feel and hear the insides of all the Still Alices and the Still Stanleys of the world, we would learn, just as we would learn if we could be inside the Mental Mabels and the Homeless Harrys and the Young Babys of the world. It is foolish to go through life thinking that what we see, hear, and think is what is inside other people, especially babies, old people, damaged people, and people with hard lives. Still Alice is not a perfect book but it is a perfect subject.
Zak Reilly Good idea, but I think it's just an interesting choice of name for our Havard Professor; I like to think 'Alice' does have connotations with Alice in Wonderland, for instance the "entering a new world" idea with comming across this new place in your life that you wouldn't expect to find yourself which links to the effect of Alzheimer's. :D :)
Karen Thysen Not at all, this is Amazing story of a woman, her daughters, son and husband coming to terms with early onset Alzhiemer's Disease
Ann Yes, this is a story of ALICE.
Hema Sharma why do you think the rabbit didn't notice alice ?
Nita Alice Howland spirals down to a point of no return. It is a linear descent that is based on known symptoms. She just enters a world of nothingness. Of course I have not experienced this, but here it is a lack of rational thinking. I guess imagination has nothing to do with this.

Alice in wonderland passes through a looking glass to a nonsensical world. Here there is no logical descent, but events that make no sense at all.
In no way would Alice Howland be able to describe a world that gets curiouser and curiouser.
I guess Lewis Carrol ventured into nonsense literature to get some respite from all his rational, logical pursuits.
Image for Still Alice
by Lisa Genova (Goodreads Author)