Ray
Ray asked:

I loved and lived the first 90% of this novel which I think deals with a universal subject. Does anyone really believe Sarah's letter after the art show was honest? Does anyone believe that she is no longer on the "Bridge of Sighs?" That she has completely resolved the issue. That short of attaining impersonal enlightenment that the issue could be resolved?

To answer questions about Bridge of Sighs, please sign up.
MEG What issue? She resolved her attraction to Bobby when she decided to bring Kayla with her, and her issue with her mom, when she saw the picture in Mrs. Friedman's apt. Now, the issue of not becoming the successful painter that Bobby became sounded resolved back at the end of their senior year in HS, even knowing that her mom thought she really had the "true talent" which was missing from herself (mom). I think she honestly weighed the different paths she could have taken and honestly felt that she "can't help feeling cheated," but only a smidgen, only a tad, because her life with Lou was what she both wanted and needed.

As for Bobby, it seems pretty clear he became a painter because Sarah had introduced him to art. But he had the burning passion-anger-that sustained him until it didn't. Then he painted his dad as he became sick with his own emotional landscape. Plenty of Bobby's life, Ellie, seemed enough for me.
Ellie So little of the book, really, was about Sarah, that I didn't dwell on her resolution. Of course, it had to do with "LouC's" resolution, which stayed right in character with him. An odd book in many ways, but captivating. Noonan was never developed enough as an adult--how he became a painter--but it was already a long book. I listened to it while driving over a period of time! Narrator was appropriate, which helps!
Image for Bridge of Sighs
by Richard Russo (Goodreads Author)